The activities and events of UN Youth in Helsinki follow the principles of safer space. A safer space means that everyone has the freedom to be as they are, without being ridiculed, discriminated against or harassed. The goal is to make everyone feel safe, welcome and aware of practices set in place to address potential unpleasant / disturbing behaviors. Maintaining a safer space is the responsibility of all those involved in events and activities. Still, no one is required to intervene in situations where they do not feel personally safe. UN Youth of Helsinki does not tolerate any form of harassment taking place within our activities.
If you experience any disturbing behavior in activities or events, you can contact both equality officers of UN Youth of Helsinki
- E-form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdkzPtGVibFI7aV2BU9G4w47sUovCx96VO6jGhhsHb0jEjI9Q/viewform?usp=sf_link
- E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
All feedback will be processed and action will be taken when necessary. All information collected by the form will be handled confidentially. You can fill in the form completely anonymously. UN Youth of Helsinki commits itself to correctifying its actions if any shortcomings are detected.
If the event has a separately selected contact in case of harassment, you can also report the incident directly to them on site. If necessary, the perpetrator of the harassment may be immediately removed from the scene.
- Respect other people’s physical and mental space. Do not touch another without asking permission. Remember, you cannot know another person’s boundaries without asking. Also, make room for yourself if needed.
- Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
- Do not make assumptions based on appearance or action. Be respectful towards all.
- Don’t make assumptions about anyone’s sexuality, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, values, socio-economic background, health, or ability to function.
- Don’t humiliate or embarrass others. Refrain from gossiping and judging other’s appearance.
- Do not repeat in your speech, actions or behavior any stereotypes based on another person’s qualities or characteristics.
- Give room – make sure everyone has the opportunity to participate in the conversation. Also respect the privacy of others and treat sensitive topics with respect.
- You can give appropriate and constructive feedback on inappropriate behavior. Listen to any feedback given to you. Try to be open about the feedback you receive and take it into account in the future. Apologize if you have hurt someone.
- If notice anyone else acting inappropriately or in other way acting against UN Youth of Helsinki’s principles, intervene the situation.